Transfer News

Transfer news LIVE! Skriniar to Tottenham update, Mendy to Chelsea done, Suarez deal, Arsenal bid for Aouar

milanskriniar3.jpg
12views

Welcome back to the Evening Standard‘s live rolling coverage of the summer transfer window.

Tottenham have signed Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon from Real Madrid, along with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart and Matt Doherty. Champions Liverpool have signed £25m Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich, while Diogo Jota has also joined from Wolves.

Arsenal have secured Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang‘s future after signing Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes, while goalkeeper Runar Alex Runarsson has joined following Emiliano Martinez’s departure.

Chelsea have spent big on Kai Havertz, Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr, Ben Chilwell, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech, with goalkeeper Edouard Mendy expected to sign this week. Manchester United have brought in Donny van de Beek but are struggling to sign top target Jadon Sancho.


Live Updates


ARSENAL NEWS


Arteta explains Ozil omission

Photo: Getty Images

Mikel Arteta says it is difficult for Mesut Ozil to make Arsenal’s matchday squad as the team evolve under his management, writes Jack Rosser.

The German – Arsenal’s highest-paid player – has not played a minute since the Premier League resumed after lockdown in June and was again absent from the squad for the Gunners’ 2-0 Carabao Cup win over Leicester on Wednesday.

Ozil is in the final year of his contract at Arsenal and has shown no intention of forcing his way out before it expires, despite his chances of getting back into the team looking slimmer by the day.

“I try to select the players that are, in my opinion, in better condition,” Arteta said of Ozil’s omission for the 17th consecutive game.

“You can see that the players we are changing, we are using, it’s very difficult every week, not for Mesut but for some other players as well to make the squad. Every week we try to pick the right players.

“It’s difficult for others as well that aren’t involved in the Premier League and didn’t play tonight either. We have a squad of 26, 27 players at the moment and we can’t give playing time to all of them.

“The team is evolving, you can see the level they are achieving. This is where we are at the moment. We want to evolve more and play better and compete better. We have to keep maintaining that.

“We are picking the players that we believe are the best for each game. You can see we keep training, it’s what we’re trying to do.”

CHELSEA NEWS


Aston Villa eye Barkley loan swoop

Photo: AFP via Getty Images

He was on target for Chelsea tonight, but could Ross Barkley be set to leave Stamford Bridge before the transfer window closes next month?

According to The Telegraph, Aston Villa are weighing up a loan move for the former Everton playmaker, who faces more competition for places under Frank Lampard following the summer arrivals of Kai Havertz and Hakim Ziyech.

EUROPEAN NEWS


Atletico clinch Suarez deal

Photo: Getty Images

Just a short statement so far from Atletico on the Suarez deal:

“Atlético de Madrid and FC Barcelona have reached an agreement over the transfer of Luis Suárez, subject to passing his medical and agreeing and formalising the Uruguayan’s contract with our club,” Los Rojiblancos said on Wednesday night.

SPURS NEWS


Tottenham hold Skriniar talks

Photo: Getty Images

Some intriguing reports tonight regarding Tottenham’s pursuit of Milan Skriniar.

It was claimed yesterday that Spurs had opened talks over the Inter Milan centre-back as they seek to bolster their defensive options for a hectic campaign.

Fabrizio Romano now reports that there was a meeting between the two clubs today, with Tottenham unwilling to meet Inter’s €60m valuation of the Slovakian international.

Spurs are said only to be willing to pay €50m for Skriniar including add-ons, with the club still interested in Ruben Dias at Benfica.

Gianluca DiMarzio also seems to have pictures of Tottenham’s chief scout Steve Hitchen supposedly in Milan…

DONE DEAL


Atletico clinch Suarez deal

Photo: Getty Images

Barcelona have confirmed a €6m agreement with Atletico Madrid for the sale of Luis Suarez.

The former Liverpool star initially appeared to have his move to the Spanish capital blocked earlier this week, only for hostilities to be smoothed over during a meeting between Barca and the player’s representatives on Tuesday.

In an official club statement released late on Wednesday night, the Blaugrana said: “FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Luis Suárez.

The Madrid club will pay FC Barcelona 6 million euros in variables. 

“FC Barcelona would like to publicly express their gratitude to Luis Suárez for his commitment and dedication and wishes him all the best for the future.”

Suarez – who had also been coveted by Juventus – scored 198 goals in six seasons at Barcelona, winning 13 major trophies.

He will hold a farewell event and remote press conference tomorrow at 11:30am.

CHELSEA NEWS


Lampard update on Mendy, Rudiger and Loftus-Cheek

Photo: AFP via Getty Images

Frank Lampard says his decision to leave Antonio Rudiger and Ruben Loftus-Cheek out of his squad against Barnsley does not mean they are definitely leaving Chelsea, writes Giuseppe Muro.

Lampard also confirmed a deal to sign Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy is “done” and his arrival is set to be confirmed in the next 24 hours.

Rudiger and Loftus-Cheek have both been linked with loan exits from Stamford Bridge before the transfer window closes next month.

The arrival of Thiago Silva has effectively pushed Rudiger down to fifth-choice centre-back at Chelsea and he has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain.

Loftus-Cheek faces limited opportunities this season following the arrivals of Kai Havertz and Hakim Ziyech.

But Lampard said not to read too much into his selection after Chelsea beat Barnsley 6-0 to set up a Carabao Cup clash against Tottenham.

Lampard said: “They were not in the squad, that is just a choice at the moment.

“With the centre-backs, I cannot have them all in the squad. I know I keep getting asked about the question about the size of the squad, yes there may be movement in the squad but nothing is concrete so do not read too much into those selections at the minute.

“It will have to be things that are right for the club, individuals and me in terms of what happens in the next couple of weeks.”

On Mendy, Lampard added: “The medical I think is done and I think it is complete. It seems on the verge of being done.”

CHELSEA NEWS


Mendy completes Chelsea medical

Photo: Getty Images

Frank Lampard has just confirmed in a Zoom press conference following Chelsea’s 6-0 Carabao Cup thrashing of Barnsley that goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has now completed his medical ahead of a move from Rennes.

All being well, he is expecting that deal to be officially announced within the next 24 hours.

ARSENAL NEWS


Arteta omits Ozil and Guendouzi

Photo: Getty Images

Tonight’s other big Carabao Cup news in terms of squad omissions relates to Matteo Guendouzi and Mesut Ozil at Arsenal.

It had been said that the two could feature against Leicester tonight, but in reality neither was even included on the bench at the King Power Stadium.

Is there any way back for the duo under Mikel Arteta, or do exits – particularly in the case of Guendouzi – now inevitably beckon?

CHELSEA NEWS


Rudiger to PSG?

Photo: AFP via Getty Images

Chelsea are currently cruising in the Carabao Cup third round, with goals from Tammy Abraham and summer signing Kai Havertz – his first for the club – giving them a 2-0 lead over Championship side Barnsley.

But Frank Lampard – who handed a debut to Thiago Silva at Stamford Bridge – is sure to face more questions tonight over the future of Antonio Rudiger, who was left out of the squad once again amid speculation over interest from Paris Saint-Germain.

DONE DEAL


De Boer named new Dutch coach 

A done deal of sorts. Dutch legend Frank De Boer has been named the new manager of the Netherlands national side. 

Photo: Getty

The former Ajax, Inter Milan and Crystal Palace boss has signed a contract which will see him lead the team at next summer’s rescheduled European Championships and the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. 

Ronald Koeman had led a revival of a side that missed out on qualification for the last World Cup and European Championships, but left the post this summer to take up the Barcelona job.

EUROPEAN NEWS


Paco: Mbappe has decided to join Madrid

Real Madrid legend Paco Buyo claims that Kylian Mbappe has already decided to join Real Madrid. 

Mbappe has been linked with a move to Liverpool next summer in recent days, but Paco, who won six LaLiga titles at Madrid in the 80s and 90s, insists he is on his way to the Bernabeu.

“It looks like Liverpool are also interested, but I believe Mbappé has already made his decision [to join Madrid],” he told El Chiringuito .

 “Will it be next summer? We will see if he expects to end the contract, I do not know if he can handle the pressure or if he will accept any millionaire proposal that PSG will present to him.”

EUROPEAN NEWS


Gotze ‘not an option for Bayern’ 

Bayern Munich boss Hansi Flick has denied speculation he is interested in re-signing Mario Gotze. 

Photo: Getty

Gotze is a free agent after leaving Borussia Dortmund at the end of last season, having returned to the club following a three-year spell at Bayern in 2016. 

“I have had frequent contact with him since my time with the national team,” said Flick, who was Joachim Low’s assistant with Germany. “I have high regard for Mario and know where his strengths lie. But that’s not an option for us at the moment,”

WEST HAM NEWS


West Ham ‘make Fofana bid’

Sky Sports News are reporting that West Ham have made an offer for 19-year-old St. Etienne defender Wesley Fofana. 

The report claims the Hammers have submitted a bid worth an initial €25million plus upto €11m in add-ons. 

A centre-back is known to be on David Moyes’ wishlist over the next fortnight, with the club having held a long-standing interest in Burnley’s James Tarkowski. 

MAN UTD NEWS


Berbatov: United must buy or face long season

Former Manchester United forward Dimitar Berbatov has warned the club face a ‘very long season’ if they do not add some new faces in the final weeks of the transfer window. 

The Bulgarian was reacting to Manchester United’s 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace last weekend, which got their Premier league campaign off to the worst possible start. 

“If it becomes a trend, it could be a very long season,” Berbatov told Betfair. “I and others have big expectations for United this season.

“They need a centre-half, and probably further recruitment also to be competitive. At the end of the day, if Crystal Palace can score three past you, you are in trouble.

“As I said, if we only judge on this game, United need to buy a whole new squad! But we can’t over-react to one game on its own.

“They have less than two weeks until the window closes, and they can play some more games to figure out what they need in that time, but it’s not easy. It can be hard to sign players, maybe the players don’t want to come, it is hard to say, but their defence is what they need to work on.”

LIVERPOOL NEWS


Lijnders: Thiago is the solution for Liverpool

Liverpool assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders has hailed the signing of Thiago Alcantara and says the team “deserves” a “great signing” like the Spain midfielder.
 

Photo: AFP

“Good teams need good players. We’re really happy he is with us. This team, especially, deserves a player like him,” he said.

“He will make sure that we keep evolving. Teams adapt, teams try to destroy our plans, and it’s most important that we stay unpredictable.

“Unpredictability means that from each position, we can play the last pass and speed up the game as much as we can.

“Thiago does that for us. He’s a great signing. We didn’t buy a problem, we bought a solution!”

CHELSEA NEWS


Werner: I had doubts about Chelsea move

Timo Werner has admitted harbouring doubts about joining Chelsea after watching them lose heavily to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

The 24-year-old sealed a £47.5 million transfer from RB Leipzig after the Blues saw off competition from Bayern Munich and Liverpool to land the forward.
 

Photo: AP

But in deciding where to move for the next stage of his career, Werner revealed he found himself questioning whether Chelsea was the right fit after a humbling 3-0 defeat at home to Bayern.

“I would be lying if I said it wasn’t like that,” he told Sport Bild. “The 3-0 home defeat of Chelsea in the first leg against Bayern hadn’t exactly spoken in favour of going to London.

“I have to say that openly, because with Leipzig we always played very good and close games against Bayern.”

However, Werner said that the team’s improvement towards the end of the season convinced him he made the correct choice.

He added: “By showing Chelsea the weak points, the club was able to work on the pieces of the puzzle in order to catch up with the future Champions League winners Bayern. That’s what Chelsea did.”

LIVERPOOL NEWS


Burnley make approach for Liverpool winger Wilson

David Lynch | Liverpool correspondent

Burnley have made contact with Liverpool over a potential swoop for winger Harry Wilson.
 

Photo: Getty

The Clarets have yet to lodge an official bid for the 23-year-old but Standard Sport understands that talks between the two clubs are now underway.

After adding Diogo Jota to a squad that is already well stocked on the wings, Jurgen Klopp is willing to allow Wilson to leave permanently this summer.

The Wales international, a product of the Reds’ academy, has made just one senior competitive appearance for the club – against Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup in 2017.

Liverpool were thought to value the youngster at around £20m earlier this summer, but it remains to be seen what deal Sean Dyche’s side are able to strike.

MAN UTD NEWS


Berbatov: Man Utd need another Ferdinand

Manchester United need to sign a defender in the mould of Rio Ferdinand or risk facing a long season of defensive issues, says Dimitar Berbatov.
 

Photo: AP

The Bulgarian thinks that after the 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must prioritise bringing in a fast defender to work alongside Harry Maguire.

“They have less than two weeks until the window closes, and they can play some more games to figure out what they need in that time, but it’s not easy,” he told Betfair.

“It can be hard to sign players – maybe the players don’t want to come, it is hard to say – but their defence is what they need to work on.

“The goals they conceded at the weekend were poor defensive goals. If they don’t strengthen up, it will be a long season for them.

“They need someone alongside Harry Maguire, look at how impressive he has been since he came in, and he is now captain. They need someone who is fast, like Rio Ferdinand was for Nemanja Vidic.”

WEST HAM NEWS


Hammers give up Tarkowski pursuit

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has conceded defeat in their pursuit of James Tarkowski, claiming he cannot authorise spending the entire transfer budget on the Burnley defender.
 

Photo: PA

“We’ve got two or three bids in, but the benchmark is very high,” co-owner Sullivan told talkSPORT. “We’ve got limited funds.

“If we had £400m to spend and someone said spend 10 per cent of it, £40m, on a 28-year-old centre-back from a Premier League club who will remain nameless, you’d probably get the player out.

“But to spend your entire budget on a 28-year-old centre-back, you’re struggling. We’re going to get no gate money, possibly all season. We’ve got to keep the club afloat and pay the wages.


Suarez bids farewell to Barca

It’s over. Luis Suarez has reportedly bid an emotional farewell to his Barcelona team-mates and friends at training this morning after reaching an agreement to terminate his contract.
 

Photo: Reuters

The Uruguayan joined the Catalan giants in 2014 from Liverpool for £75m and has been a massive success, scoring 198 goals in 283 games.

But the 33-year-old won’t be going far – the controversial forward is set to join LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid on a free transfer after agreeing to tear up his deal at Camp Nou.

When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?

The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.

Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.

During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.



Source link . More news

share on Facebookshare on Twitter

Leave a Response

Football news
Association football, more commonly known as football or soccer, is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries and dependencies, making it the world's most popular sport.